Planning A Trip to Uluru

Uluru

via ilfanto

I’m finally visiting THE Australian landmark. I’ve booked the Rock 2 Water tour through Groovy Grape Getaways, which starts in Alice Springs and visits Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Coober Pedy and the Flinders Ranges before ending in Adelaide.

I’ve been a bit overwhelmed in planning this excursion, mostly because I have no idea what to expect. I know I will be camping, but since the weather is rather bipolar in Alice Springs, I’m packing for all climates. Do I need a mosquito net to keep all those nasty flies away? How about a snake bite kit? I’ve never been anywhere quite like the Outback.

I’m lucky that Groovy Grape has such a great itinerary because I’m not sure how I would get out there as a solo traveler. If you read my post “The Australian Airline Conundrum,” you know how much of a struggle it’s been just booking flights. Here’s my plans so far.

• Day 1: Fly to Alice Springs on Qantas. Stay at Haven Backpackers.
  • Day 2: Leave for GG tour at 6:45 a.m. Visit Uluru and stay at Ayers Rock Campground.
  • Day 3: Visit Kata Tjuta and stay at Kings Creek Station.
  • Day 4: Explore Kings Canyon.
  • Day 5: Go noodling for opals in Coober Pedy.
  • Day 6: Visit the Flinders Ranges before arriving in Adelaide. Stay at Backpack Oz.
  • Day 7: Fly back to Sydney on Virgin Australia.

Do you have any recommendations for my trip or what I should pack? Here’s what I have so far.

Have you been to Uluru? What did you pack?

About Caroline

Caroline Eubanks is the founder of Caroline in the City. She's a freelance writer based in Atlanta, Georgia but also considers Charleston and Sydney home. Her past writing credits include work for AFAR.com, National Geographic Travel and she is a contributor to Her Packing List.

Subscribe via RSS reader or to my monthly newsletter.

12 Responses to Planning A Trip to Uluru

1. Nicole Blaess-Smith (@NicoleTravelBug) September 8, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

YAH!!!! :D :D :D

I can’t wait to hear all about Coober Pedy and Uluru – never been there and I’ve been a South Aussie my whole life. *ashamed*

2. Nicole September 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Hey Caroline! I did Groovy Grape’s 7-day “Desert Patrol” tour from Adelaide to Alice Springs in late April – very similar itinerary & it was great! Definitely get a flynet – I wore mine religiously & it was so wonderful not to have to constantly swat away the flies! As for packing – I had everything with me that I had brought to Oz, so I guess I’m not much help there. I guess I would say to be prepared for just about anything weather-wise since it may be hot during the day & cool at night. I wrote 3 posts about my tour on my blog – all posted in July – here’s the link to the first in that series if you want to check it out: http://chasingwonderlust.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/one-rock-one-canyon-one-railway-10-billion-flies/ Hope to see you again soon!

3. Rebecca September 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Widebrim sunhat and flynet to drap over IS A MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You’ll look like a nerd, but who cares. Everyone will look the same. I am not kidding when I say you should look like this:

Sunblock. Trainers or hiking shoes, if you have (but don’t run out and buy if you don’t). Maybe some snacks, just in case.

Great tour, no need to plan much if anything as all your days will be packed. Can’t wait to read about it!!! Have a great time!!

• carolineinthecityblog September 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

That picture is priceless! Will buy the necessities when I get to Alice because I’m flying carryon. Can’t wait either!

4. Ayngelina September 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Wow wounds wonderful Caroline, just don’t climb it!

• carolineinthecityblog September 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

Definitely not! I don’t want bad Aboriginal karma and I also don’t want to fall off the rock!

5. Sammi September 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm #

NO JEANS!!! They absolutely suck when wet. I’d say some synthetic pants instead. I’m not saying go out and buy yucky cargo hiking pants but maybe some stretchy yoga synthetics. They pack smaller and you will love your life when they get wet and dry quickly. I wish I’d known you’d need a mosquito net because, naturally, I have one AND ITS CAMO!!!!

• carolineinthecityblog September 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

I didn’t know I would need one, but I will buy one and let you keep it as a backup. I’m bringing jeans anyways. Sorry. They’re the only long pants I have, but I’m also bringing leggings. Thanks for the tips sister.

6. Heather September 9, 2011 at 1:34 am #

I was there in July and it was FREEZING (literally) at night. May not be as cold as when ou go, but yeah, pack for all weather conditions :-)

I stayed at Haven — not a bad little place.

ENJOY!

7. jade September 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

We didn’t get to go- but I can’t wait to hear what you think about it. I was on the fence about climbing it- since they have traditional guides that can take you up there… I don’t want the karma, but interesting that they do allow hikers.

8. eriksmithdotcom September 22, 2011 at 12:12 am #

I remember waking up in the campground in Yulara as cold as I can ever remember being (it was October) and I sprinted to the showerhouse to get under the hot water as fast as possible. It was scorching hot during the day and freezing at night- that should tell you all you need to know about packing- LAYERS!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks