As I learned in Alice Springs, it doesn’t matter how nice your facilities are if your staff aren’t helpful or kind. Thankfully, this wasn’t a problem when I stayed at Adelaide’s Backpack Oz and The Guest House. It’s a short walk from Victoria Square, right in the middle of the action, or as much action as Adelaide has.
After a long week of sleeping on the ground, not showering often enough and being generally dirty I was relieved to arrive in Adelaide. When I checked in at Backpack Oz, I was told I would be in a private room at the neighboring Guest House. While I was a little disappointed I wouldn’t be in the middle of everything, I was glad I would have a good nights sleep after so many terrible ones. I was also assured I could use any of the hostel’s facilities.
The guest house feels more like an apartment complex, with guests mostly keeping to themselves. The rooms each have a sink, hanging rack and television. There were even mints on my pillow! Each floor has their own bathrooms and laundry facilities are available on the roof, which is also a place to hang out and watch the sun set over Adelaide. There isn’t internet at the Guest House, but Backpack Oz has free wireless for those with laptops, as well as computers at reception.
The kitchen had everything you needed to cook a nice meal and the free breakfast included tea, coffee, toast and cereal, along with all the jam, butter and Vegemite you could ask for. There is a book swap with board games and a patio area adjacent to the kitchen.
While I didn’t get to experience Backpack Oz first hand, I spent an hour or so on the computers the next day at reception and noticed how nice the staff were. The owners were around, not like some hostels I’ve stayed at, and did their best to make sure the guests were happy.
*I received a discounted rate at The Guest House, but my opinions are my own.
Caroline in the City Rating
- Location: Close to Victoria Square, 15 minutes from the airport ****
- Price: On the expensive end, but good facilities for price ****
- Character: Backpack Oz has more character than the Guest House, with a pool table and bar ***
- Security: Keycard entry at all times to GH, night entrance at Backpack Oz ***
- Staff: Very friendly, owners present, staff helpful *****
- Fun: More so in the hostel ***
- Cleanliness: Linens clean, bathrooms cleaned often *****
- Extras: Free breakfast, travel desk, internet, happy hour, cheap meals *****
- TOTAL: 32/40