After graduation, I and thousands of my contemporaries found ourselves with low paying part time jobs or none at all, despite degrees and qualifications. I was sick of working in a cafe and feeling like I wasn’t living up to my potential. I didn’t want a 9-5 career. I wanted to travel. So I did.
It started with a summer volunteering in northern Thailand, sailing in Croatia and road tripping up the East Coast of the United States. After another measly restaurant job, I left for a year long working holiday in Australia.
This blog is all about getting out there and discovering the world for yourself instead of settling into a life that’s comfortable. It’s about pushing aside all your insecurities and learning how to go after what you want, even if that means traveling solo. It’s about throwing your perceptions of the “real world,” a house, a steady job, kids, out the window for one of your choosing, no matter the location. I want to encourage students and postgrads like myself to travel because it doesn’t have to be expensive or scary.
The Best of Caroline in the City
I’ve categorized the most important posts from Caroline in the City from over the years to ease you into reading and starred the ten most popular ones.
Learning more about the girl behind the blog, my goals and personality
- Why I Travel
- 23 Things to Do Before Turning 23*
- 24 Things to Do Before Turning 24*
- 25 Things to Do Before Turning 25*
- My 1 Month No Drinking Challenge
- My Battle with Travel Anxiety
- A Time of Transition
Charleston and College Living
My college years in Charleston and advice for fellow students
- Making Travel a Priority in College*
- 15 Real World Lessons I Wish I’d Learned Sooner
- Planning Your College Break Trip
My Australian Working Holiday
My year traveling and working down under and tips for planning your own working holiday
- Australian Backpacker Bars*
- The Best and Worst of Australian Hostels*
- Things I Miss Most About Australia
- Overrated and Underrated Australia
- Bartending Down Under: What I’ve Learned
- The Australian Adventure: One Year Later
- My Australian Travel Mistakes
Life Down South
Random musings from a Southern girl
Travel Rants and Manifestos
My rants and raves about travel and life
- My Solo Travel Promise
- 5 Reasons I’m Leaving the Country to Travel
- Surviving Bad Travel Days
- Lessons from a Year of Solo Travel
Travel Budgets, Packing Lists and Essentials
The how-tos of traveling and backpacking
- What’s In My Carry On Bag?*
- Backpacker Chic*
- Packing for a Trip to Europe
- The Cost of Traveling in Australia: My Budget
- How Can I Afford to Travel?
My favorite photo essays from my travels
If you want to find a specific post, check out my Archives.