After graduation, I and thousands of my contemporaries found ourselves with low paying part time jobs or none at all, despite degrees and qualifications. I was sick of working in a cafe and feeling like I wasn’t living up to my potential. I didn’t want a 9-5 career. I wanted to travel. So I did.
It started with a summer volunteering in northern Thailand, sailing in Croatia and road tripping up the East Coast of the United States. After another measly restaurant job, I left for a year-long working holiday in Australia.
This blog is all about getting out there and discovering the world for yourself instead of settling into a life that’s comfortable. It’s about pushing aside all your insecurities and learning how to go after what you want, even if that means traveling solo. It’s about throwing your perceptions of the “real world,” a house, a steady job, kids, out the window for one of your choosing, no matter the location. I want to encourage students and postgrads like myself to travel because it doesn’t have to be expensive or scary. It’s also about the high-value experiences you can find for not much money.
The Best of Caroline in the City
I’ve categorized the most important posts from Caroline in the City from over the years to ease you into reading.
Learning more about the girl behind the blog, my goals and personality
- Why I Travel
- My 1 Month No Drinking Challenge
- My Battle with Travel Anxiety
- Traveling as an INFJ
- On Becoming a Writer and Following Dreams
- On Finding My Confidence
Charleston and College Living
My college years in Charleston and advice for fellow students
- Making Travel a Priority in College
- 15 Real World Lessons I Wish I’d Learned Sooner
- Planning Your College Break Trip
- How to Have a Girls Weekend in Charleston
- Post-Graduate Options for Travelers
My Australian Working Holiday
My year traveling and working down under and tips for planning your own working holiday
- The Best and Worst of Australian Hostels
- Things I Miss Most About Australia
- Overrated and Underrated Australia
- Bartending Down Under: What I’ve Learned
- The Australian Adventure: One Year Later
- My Australian Travel Mistakes
- Lessons From My Working Holiday
Life Down South
Random musings from a Southern girl
- The Notebook Charleston Tour
- A Merry Mudbog Christmas
- Caroline in the Country
- How to Spend a Layover in Atlanta
Travel Rants and Manifestos
My rants and raves about travel and life
- My Solo Travel Promise
- 5 Reasons I’m Leaving the Country to Travel
- Surviving Bad Travel Days
- Lessons from a Year of Solo Travel
- How Travel Saved Me
Travel Budgets, Packing Lists and Essentials
The how-tos of traveling and backpacking
- What’s In My Carry-On Bag?
- Backpacker Chic
- Packing for a Trip to Europe
- The Cost of Traveling in Australia: My Budget
- How Can I Afford to Travel?
- What No One Tells You About the Travel Lifestyle
My favorite photo essays from my travels
- Photo Friday: Venice Beach, CA
- Photo Essay: Melbourne Street Art
- Photo Friday: Tampa, FL
- Photo Essay: Annah Rais Homestay, Malaysia
If you want to find a specific post, check out my Archives.