Tweet The only thing I knew about at the beginning of 2014 was my three month adventure through Australia and Asia. But it was the ones I didn’t plan that really made this year so great. I usually take how I spend my New Years Eve to be a sign of things to come, but […]
Archive | backpacking RSS feed for this section
TweetAfter writing the post on questions about solo travel in Turkey, I decided to make this a series to answer your burning questions about what it’s really like to travel certain areas solo or as a female. In this case, I was traveling Southeast Asia with my sister, but many of the questions still apply. […]
Tweet The three months my sister and I spent in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam are ones I’ll never forget. The food was unlike anything I’d ever tasted and the people were so friendly. I also got to meet some new friends, catch up with old ones and give back to the wildlife. Here is […]
Tweet I’ve had two backpacks that I’ve loved, my Kelty Arch 65L and my Osprey Sirrus 35L, but I’ve slowly worked my way down to even smaller bags. Back in February, Timbuk2 sent me one of their Aviator travel bags to test drive on Her Packing List. I knew the brand for their hip cycling […]
Tweet From the moment the ferry got close to Koh Tao, I was already filled with regret. After spending the last week and a half on Koh Samui for my friend’s wedding, I thought I’d had enough island time, but that wasn’t the case. While parts of Koh Samui were certainly beautiful, particularly the area […]
Tweet Getting around Southeast Asia is never dull, rarely on time and always a gamble. What seems like a straightforward journey can be an epic adventure, so be prepared for just about anything. You’ve got dozens of options at your disposal on how to get around, so why not try a little bit of each? […]
TweetI’ve talked about plenty of things I don’t think are worth it in Southeast Asia, namely things that other people think are fun that I’m not overly interested in. The Full Moon Party. Elephant rides. Tubing in Vang Vieng. Selfies with tigers at Tiger Temple. Shooting off guns in Vietnam. Halong Bay party cruises. But […]
Tweet Flying on budget airlines can save you plenty of money, but can make you want to rip your hair out from all the extra fees and nonsense that go along with it. In my years of being a budget traveler, I’ve flown Ryanair in Europe, JetStar in Australia and Asia, AirAsia in Asia and […]
Tweet Beng Mealea is one of Siem Reap’s lesser visited temples and was long so for good reason: land mines set up by the Khmer Rouge. Only a few people had visited the temple before its mines were cleared in the last decade and those who did faced a painful death if they took the […]
TweetI didn’t sleep in the same bed for more than a week for the last three months, including some luxury hotels, some guesthouses and my fair share of boats and trains. Most were to my liking and we soon learned that for $20 USD per night, we could get comfortable rooms, free breakfast and free […]
Who is Caroline in the City?
Caroline Eubanks is the blogger behind Caroline in the City and a freelance writer. This native Atlantan spent four years at university in Charleston before choosing a life of perpetual travel. After a summer volunteering in Thailand and sailing in Croatia, she made the move to spend a year in Australia. It was there she went bungee jumping, scuba diving and even held a koala.
- 5 Reasons I’m Leaving the Country to Travel January 16, 2011
- Caroline’s Favorite Things 2013 December 13, 2013
- 24 Things to Do Before Turning 24 July 8, 2011
- Flying High Over Kaua’i June 27, 2011
- Making Travel a Priority in College April 16, 2012
- A City Girl’s Favorite Rural Experiences January 29, 2015
- Awkward Moments as a Solo Traveler January 27, 2015
- Photo Friday: Frankfort, Kentucky January 23, 2015
- Hotel Amenities for the Traveler’s Home January 22, 2015
- Can You Travel the World on $50 Per Day? January 20, 2015
- Joseph @ Green Global Travel: It's tough since US's tourist infrastructure isn...
- Svenja: Savannah is absolutely gorgeous! We stopped ther...
- Caroline: Me too, Tracey! I like the option of meeting peopl...
- Caroline: Totally agree, Bess! Getting lost while alone is t...
- Tracey: I must be a grump too as I hate when people want t...