TweetSome tourist attractions aren’t supposed to be fun or to be crossed off your bucket list. Some are somber and meant for reflection. The Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. The Killing Fields in Cambodia. Hiroshima in Japan. And it’s not all Oktoberfest and pub crawls in Munich, but rather a place with history. For some, this [...]
Archive | Germany RSS feed for this section
Tweet While many of my days in Munich were nice and sunny, one in particular was rainy and miserable. Christine and I were looking for something to do and ended up at the BMW Welt Visitor’s Center, one of the city’s top attractions. BMW was founded here in 1917 and the company recently opened a [...]
Tweet I dreamed about visiting this castle for as long as I’ve wanted to travel. A few years ago when I applied to be a tour guide for BusAbout, I was given King Ludwig II of Bavaria, “The Mad King,” as my topic. I waxed poetic about his dream castle that was never completed, how [...]
TweetI’ve always been fascinated with abandoned spaces since the first time I saw the run down family home on my grandmother’s street in Adairsville, Georgia. What makes these places become abandoned? Who forgot about them? What did they leave behind? I’m in love with the stories and have even created an Abandoned Spaces Pinterest board, [...]
Tweet Three years ago I had a layover in Frankfurt between volunteering in Thailand and sailing in Croatia. I had no idea what to do in the airport for 8 hours, so I placed my bag in storage and took the train into central Frankfurt. Unfortunately, I was there at 6 am, so nothing was [...]
TweetEurope 2012: Austria, Germany and Portugal from Caroline Eubanks on Vimeo. I’ve finally gotten around to creating a Europe 2012 video featuring my crazy experiences tobogganing, paragliding and prost-ing at Oktoberfest! Enjoy.
Tweet Disclaimer: Sensitive readers may find this post to be graphic, but I think it’s a part of history rarely mentioned. Read at your own risk. He who builds bunkers is the first to drop bombs. It could happen any day now. The end of the world. World War 3. Doomsday. Not as the Mayans [...]
TweetSeeing a guy carrying a surfboard and wetsuit through Munich, Germany isn’t something you expect to see, especially considering how cold it gets in Bavaria. Sydney, definitely. Los Angeles, possibly. But Munich? But surfers they were. I had read about this unusual “wave” before my trip and made sure to see it for myself. In [...]
TweetI spent lots of time on trains during my trip to Austria and Germany, using my Eurail pass yet again. I didn’t book online with vacation coupons, so using my youth train pass saved me a lot of money. For the most part, the German reputation for being neat and on time proved to be true [...]
Tweet During my time in Australia, I stayed at a lot of hostels and it was easy for me to categorize my Best and Worst of Australian Hostels. In Austria and Germany, however, it was the little things that made up each of my experiences. There were things I didn’t like about great hostels and [...]
About Caroline in the City
Caroline Eubanks is the blogger behind Caroline in the City and a freelance writer. This native Atlantan spent four years at university in Charleston before choosing a life of perpetual travel. After a summer volunteering in Thailand and sailing in Croatia, she made the move to spend a year in Australia. Read more. br>
Which City is Caroline in?
Find it on CITC
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- 5 Reasons I’m Leaving the Country to Travel January 16, 2011
- 24 Things to Do Before Turning 24 July 8, 2011
- Flying High Over Kaua’i June 27, 2011
- Photo Essay: The Great Ocean Road February 21, 2011
- The Australian Adventure: Six Months In July 25, 2011
- Introducing the #Tweet2Toronto Journey May 20, 2013
- Photo Essay: Cats of the Hemingway House May 17, 2013
- Paddleboarding with Manatees May 15, 2013
- Space Travel: The Final Frontier May 13, 2013
- Photo Essay: Miami Street Art May 10, 2013
- Kate: Great photos! Stand up paddle boarding is super ea...
- Peter: Thanks for this nice and decent post to tell about...
- Five Inspiring Travel Reads this Week « The Glovebox Blog from ArgusCarHire.com: [...] Space Travel: The Final Frontier [...]...
- Kim Harrison: Here's a music video about Riverview, the abandon...
- Jess: I've been thinking about this now that there's t...