TweetReturning to Sydney was an odd sensation, as I spent over six months living there in 2011, riding the train to work everyday past the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. This time around, I did something I never did back then: I stayed at a hostel in Sydney. I was lucky enough to be able […]
Archive | hostels RSS feed for this section
Tweet I pride myself on being a budget traveler who is most comfortable in hostels. I can discern what makes a great hostel and what doesn’t. And lucky for me, I only experienced the best Turkish hostels. I can’t complain about a single place I stayed, which is truly unique. Remember what I said about how lovely […]
Tweet Between four days at a hip but pricey hostel in South Beach Miami and four days in the Florida Keys (more on both later), I spent one night in the Florida City/Homestead area. It’s the jumping off point for exploration of the Everglades National Forest, one of only two types of these wetlands in […]
Tweet I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: Australia is expensive. Sydney is certainly no exception and is likely more expensive than any other city in the country. While the US dollar is nearly even with the Australian dollar, it will take you much more of those dollars to buy the same items. But […]
TweetThis is the second post in a series about the cost of traveling in Australia, this time focusing on accommodation. Keep reading next week for the budget guide to food and drinks in Australia. Another important aspect of keeping the cost of traveling in Australia low is in regards to accommodation, which quickly eats away […]
Tweet During my time in Australia, I stayed at a lot of hostels and it was easy for me to categorize my Best and Worst of Australian Hostels. In Austria and Germany, however, it was the little things that made up each of my experiences. There were things I didn’t like about great hostels and […]
Tweet “You have champagne tastes on a beer budget.” I’ve been told this many times, mostly since I want to travel all the time but don’t want to save up enough money for it. But when I arrived in Berlin, I found out that I can have both. PLUS Hostel Berlin is luxury accommodation on […]
Tweet Porto prepared my liver for the destruction of Oktoberfest with all those 1 euro Super Bocks and port tonics at La Boheme, a bar that became the blogger haunt in my week there. Or so I thought. After a typical experience with Ryanair (read: not good), I arrived at Memmingen, Munich’s “other” airport, where […]
Tweet If you haven’t yet learned this about me already, I will say it again. My favorite hostels are almost always the smaller, family-run establishments. Ozzie Pozzie and Banana Benders in Australia immediately come to mind. So when I began planning my visit to Innsbruck I knew I wanted to stay at Doug’s Mountain Getaway, […]
Tweet I’ve long considered Palmer’s Lodge in London to be my all-time favorite hostel, but I may now have to reconsider. After checking it out on my friend the Budget Traveller’s Luxury Hostels project, I knew I had to book my stay at Gallery Hostel for the Travel Bloggers Unite conference in Porto. It turns […]
Who is Caroline in the City?
Caroline Eubanks is the blogger behind Caroline in the City and a freelance writer. This native Atlantan spent four years at university in Charleston before choosing a life of perpetual travel. After a summer volunteering in Thailand and sailing in Croatia, she made the move to spend a year in Australia. It was there she went bungee jumping, scuba diving and even held a koala.
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- 5 Reasons I’m Leaving the Country to Travel January 16, 2011
- Caroline’s Favorite Things 2013 December 13, 2013
- 24 Things to Do Before Turning 24 July 8, 2011
- Flying High Over Kaua’i June 27, 2011
- Making Travel a Priority in College April 16, 2012
- Sunset Kayaking in Melbourne April 22, 2014
- An Education in Australian Wildlife at Taronga Zoo April 18, 2014
- Tune Hotels: A La Carte Luxury April 17, 2014
- Tasting Melbourne’s Coffee Culture April 15, 2014
- Visiting the Blue Mountains Independently April 10, 2014
- Beverley | Pack Your Passport: So glad you enjoyed this Caroline! I did this exac...
- Rashaad: Congratulations! I've actually completed two half...
- Cologne Tourist Attractions / Travel Guide / Tips / Blog: […] Cologne’s Kolsch Experience […]...
- The Guy: I've stayed in a lot of Melbourne hotels and inde...
- Beverley | Pack Your Passport: Aw I never went to any of these places while I was...