While many movies have been filmed in Charleston, my favorite is easily The Notebook. It presents the most beautiful parts of Charleston and Ryan Gosling isn’t too bad either. Here are the most recognizable filming locations:
- American Theater (above): The site of Allie and Noah’s movie double date. Although the theater is no longer functional, the event facility will put marriage proposals on their iconic sign. (456 King Street, Downtown)
- Boone Hall Plantation: The gorgeous plantation, which has been featured in movies such as Gone with the Wind, serves as the Hamilton’s summer home. (1235 Long Point Road, Mt. Pleasant)
- Martin’s Point Plantation (above): This private residence is the home that Noah painstakingly repaired in the movie. Although it is not open to the public, I tracked it down one weekend and snapped this photo. The family does not appreciate wandering fans (including myself), so don’t try to find the house. You may find yourself arrested. (Wadmalaw Island)
- Old Village Post House: The scene when Allie and Noah are walking down the street during the summer and grab ice cream is filmed in Old Village Mount Pleasant. (Shem Creek area, Mt. Pleasant)
- Cypress Gardens (above): The iconic scene where Noah and Allie paddle through the swamp filled with swans was filmed during the alligator hibernation period. (3030 Cypress Gardens Road, Moncks Corner)
- William Aiken House: The yellow historic house is where Allie hears about Noah and has a meltdown in the bathtub. It is the site of many wedding receptions and is located next to the American Theater. (456 King Street, Downtown)
- College of Charleston: The scene where Lon picks Allie up at school is at the College of Charleston. (66 George Street, Downtown)
- Old Navy Base: Some interior shots here were used, as well as where the production offices were located. (off Cosgrove Avenue, North Charleston)
- Black River Plantation: Scenes in the nursing home were shot in this plantation. (near Georgetown, SC)
Scene from the Cypress Gardens swamp.
Full list of filming locations.