Top Menu

The Notebook Charleston Tour

While many movies have been filmed in Charleston, my favorite is easily The Notebook. It presents the most beautiful parts of Charleston and Ryan Gosling isn’t too bad either. Here are the most recognizable filming locations:

• American Theater (above): The site of Allie and Noah’s movie double date. Although the theater is no longer functional, the event facility will put marriage proposals on their iconic sign. (456 King Street, Downtown)
  • Boone Hall Plantation: The gorgeous plantation, which has been featured in movies such as Gone with the Wind, serves as the Hamilton’s summer home. (1235 Long Point Road, Mt. Pleasant)

• Martin’s Point Plantation (above): This private residence is the home that Noah painstakingly repaired in the movie. Although it is not open to the public, I tracked it down one weekend and snapped this photo. The family does not appreciate wandering fans (including myself), so don’t try to find the house. You may find yourself arrested. (Wadmalaw Island)
  • Old Village Post House: The scene when Allie and Noah are walking down the street during the summer and grab ice cream is filmed in Old Village Mount Pleasant. (Shem Creek area, Mt. Pleasant)

• Cypress Gardens (above): The iconic scene where Noah and Allie paddle through the swamp filled with swans was filmed during the alligator hibernation period. (3030 Cypress Gardens Road, Moncks Corner)
  • William Aiken House: The yellow historic house is where Allie hears about Noah and has a meltdown in the bathtub. It is the site of many wedding receptions and is located next to the American Theater. (456 King Street, Downtown)

• College of Charleston: The scene where Lon picks Allie up at school is at the College of Charleston. (66 George Street, Downtown)
  • Old Navy Base: Some interior shots here were used, as well as where the production offices were located. (off Cosgrove Avenue, North Charleston)
  • Black River Plantation: Scenes in the nursing home were shot in this plantation. (near Georgetown, SC)

Scene from the Cypress Gardens swamp.

Full list of filming locations.

The Notebook

7. College of Charleston
    Attraction in Charleston South Carolina

66 George St
    Charleston South Carolina

13 Responses to The Notebook Charleston Tour

1. Britney June 26, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

Hi!! This is amazing!! Have never been here! If I wanted to travel here to see all or most of the locations from the movie, especially the white house with blue shutters is everything pretty close to each other? Where wouls you recommend staying the night? Also, do they have tours? :) thank you!!

2. Michael King May 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm #

RE: Noah’s “Fixer Upper” from The Notebook

Soooo…I took my wife to Charleston for our 10th anniversary. Someone told me to research houses from The Notebook b/c she loves that movie. I saw on this site and a few others that Noah’s fixer upper was not 45 minutes from where we were staying in Charleston.

Long story short, the lady of the house was NOT happy about me asking her for a picture in front of the house. It is an actual residence and the family there made it clear that they are tired of trespassers. I felt HORRIBLE for bothering them so I promised her I would post this on as many sites as I could find.

Please update this post with a warning for future viewers that the family there does not appreciate or accept “visitors”. You cannot see the house from the road so the only way to view it by land is trespassing.

I had to ask a neighbor where it was and you can tell that even the neighbors are fatigued by trespassers. I would say it was worth a try but it really wasn’t. To walk upon this home is multiple layers of trespassing – as the neighborhood its in also has signs up that say no trespassing. I’m thankful we didn’t get shot!

If you want to see the house you have to find a way to get there by sea at high tide.

Please. please, update this posting as a favor for me and the owners. Thank you very much.

-Michael from Alabama

• Caroline May 23, 2015 at 7:35 am #

Hi Michael,
      Thanks for reading. I do say clearly that it is a private residence and I don’t include the full address, so I’m not telling anyone to trespass. But I will add that you shouldn’t attempt to go.
      Caroline

3. Robyn Mason July 3, 2015 at 1:29 am #

Hello Caroline,
    May I ask if there are guided tours to the locations of where they filmed The Notebook?

Regards,
    Robyn

• Caroline July 5, 2015 at 10:03 am #

Thanks for reading, Robyn. There aren’t official tours of filming locations. On a downtown tour, the guide may point out the American Theater and Aiken House, but that’s about it.

4. Justin September 23, 2015 at 8:22 pm #

What is the best tour I can find for my girlfriend and i for the Notebook

• Caroline September 24, 2015 at 12:50 pm #

Justin, there aren’t official tours, but you can visit many of these locations on your own.

5. Cathy November 10, 2015 at 11:10 pm #

I was born and raised in Charleston. I just watched The Notebook. I wanted to see all the familiar places in the movie.

I work for a tour company here in Charleston. I personally take our customers to Boone Hall Plantation. I love it there! Beautiful and peaceful.

6. A4Ahmedabad March 31, 2016 at 7:33 am #

This looks beautiful . Would add into my list.

7. Cathy April 8, 2016 at 1:07 am #

The outside of the house at Boone Hall Plantation was Allie’s parents home.
    The inside scenes are inside the Calhoun House on Meeting St.
    Lons office scene is inside the Custom House on E Bay St.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Love for Charleston « SKETCHING A STORY - March 28, 2012

[…] if I wasn’t already in love with the place, some key scenes in The Notebook were shot in Charleston.  Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

2. Film Friday: The Notebook | This Is My South - September 14, 2012

[…] The film made stars of Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams and has one of the most highly regarded kissing scenes in film. It’s based on the tearjerker by Nicholas Sparks. You can visit most of the filming locations from the movie on a trip to Charleston, primarily Boone Hall Plantation in Mount Pleasant, which is featured as Allie’s house. The College of Charleston campus on George Street and the American Theater on King Street were also used in the film. To learn more about the other filming locations, read Caroline in the City’s post on The Notebook Charleston Tour. […]

3. Charming Charleston: A Monthly Roundup - October 10, 2015

[…] the best things to do here. She has many articles on this southern city, but my two favorite are The Notebook Charleston Tour and Free and Cheap Things to Do in Charleston. The Notebook was filmed here and Caroline tells us […]