Top Menu

Flying High Over Kaua’i

In case you haven’t heard, I’m a wimp when it comes to heights. I’m doing my best to conquer this fear and the best way to do it, seemingly, was to climb into a helicopter with no doors.

Since Kaua’i is made of mostly national and state parks, only 30% or so of it is accessible. This is why helicopter tours have become so popular there: you can’t see it all by car. When my mom suggested we do this tour, I wasn’t sure because of my aforementioned fear, as well as the $200 per person price tag. But there was no way we could not┬ádo it.

We signed up with Jack Harter tours, who have been doing it for over thirty years. After arriving at their headquarters in Lihue, we were weighed and measured and placed accordingly in the helicopter.

Our pilot, Chris, told us all about the island, pointing out sights like the Jurassic Falls (as seen in the movie Jurassic Park) and the iconic Na Pali Coast. It’s hard to know what to say about it, so instead, you should look at the pictures.

Watch my video footage I took from the helicopter!

Helicopter Over Kauai from Caroline Eubanks on Vimeo.

24 Responses to Flying High Over Kaua’i

1. Grandma June 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

AWESOME! Keep the photos coming. I really love your haircut! Love you, Grandma

• carolineinthecityblog June 28, 2011 at 1:35 am #

Thanks Grandma! Love you too.

2. Bess June 27, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

What a good idea. I was there last June but didn’t do a helicopter tour. I’m afraid of heights too, at least I’ve developed a fear of heights over the past few years. I wonder if that will make it difficult/unpleasant to go on a hot-air balloon ride or a helicopter tour…. How did it go for you?

• carolineinthecityblog June 28, 2011 at 1:36 am #

I had a couple of “oh shit” moments when we first took off, but you get used to it. You’re strapped in, so it’s not that bad.

3. Rebecca June 27, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

Totally amazing!!! Pictures are fantastic!!!

• carolineinthecityblog June 28, 2011 at 1:36 am #

Thanks!

4. elleswim June 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Oh my God, that’s absolutely beautiful! Riding in a helicopter is one of the things on my bucket list however, when I do it I want to do it over something spectacular…like THIS!

• carolineinthecityblog June 29, 2011 at 4:28 am #

I definitely recommend. There are also helicopter tours over the volcanoes on Big Island, which may be cooler since you can’t see lava from the ground right now.

5. 1000fightsbeforeyoudie June 30, 2011 at 4:31 am #

You are so Brave! Thanks for sharing.

• carolineinthecityblog June 30, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Thanks guys! Love your blog, by the way.

6. Don Faust June 30, 2011 at 11:41 pm #

Very nice aerial views!

7. Randy July 1, 2011 at 3:12 am #

Wow! That looks amazing. I’ve always wanted to take a helicopter ride but haven’t had the chance yet.

8. Pete Heck July 1, 2011 at 8:51 am #

Gorgeous photos! I’m freaked of heights as well. Riding in a helicopter might help ;)

• carolineinthecityblog July 2, 2011 at 6:41 am #

Haha yeah it didn’t even seem real. It’s like I was flying over a very detailed model of the island.

9. wegobyebye@hotmail.com July 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Congratulations on conquering your fears. I have always wanted to take a helicopter over Hawaii. Why you ask, because I was a big fan of Magnum PI and TC was always taking Magnum on covert flights to help him with a case. It looked so beautiful.

• carolineinthecityblog July 2, 2011 at 6:48 am #

It definitely is beautiful! I recommend it if you’re ever there.

10. Caz Makepeace July 2, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Gorgeous!! I would love to do this but am also afraid of helicopters. You inspire me.

• carolineinthecityblog July 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Thanks, Caz! When I was looking at this helicopter on the tarmac, I’m thinking, “But it’s so small!” But the pilot knew what he was doing so I took a deep breath and wished for the best.

11. Gray July 3, 2011 at 11:51 pm #

I love flying in helicopters, but no door??? Gulp. Yeah, that takes guts. It’s definitely a great way to see a place.

• carolineinthecityblog July 4, 2011 at 12:56 am #
        Yeah that one got me at first, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought.
  12. Matthew Fine February 19, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

These pictures are absolutely surreal! I have yet to go to the Hawaiian islands, but have always wanted to. Congrats on riding in a helicopter! I do not ever think I could get in one

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Lucky 7: The Best and Worst of Caroline in the City « Caroline in the City - July 6, 2011

[…] a post I wrote last week, Flying High Over Kauai. I slapped together a video and a few words with my photos, but some well-placed Stumbles have made […]

2. Video: Hawaii Highlights « Caroline in the City - July 13, 2011

[…] took the most video on my flight over Kaua’i, but I had a lot of other clips to share. I threw them all together and added some good tunes. […]

3. » Video: Hawaii Highlights Caroline in the City - April 9, 2012